This is a very important development in the evolving liberal block versus illiberal block cold war led by the US and China respectively. Europe is vital because it is the largest swing state by far. To date, it has been a cowardly waffler, afraid of Donald Trump hawkishness, while courting Beijing. But, things have changed in recent months with the rise of the Biden administration:
- The Comprehensive Agreement on Investment may never be ratified by the European Parliament.
- EU Germany and Nederlands have all made it harder for Chinese M&A. Italy and France have both turned cold on China.
- Further measures to prevent tech takeovers are planned.
- Populist Hungary is still keen whore with Beijing
- CCP apologist, Angela Merkel is struggling to hold the line. German Greens (much less fake than Australian) are China hawkish and leading polls for September elections.
- Wolf wankers are to blame as China crushes HK, threatens Taiwan and undertakes genocide in Xinjiang.
- Europe will seek its own path independent of US.
It is my hope (and expectation) that Europe will swing much more hawkish over time, even if pretends otherwise for while. The CCP is evil and European history makes it impossible for it to be close to such.
There are 804 words left in this subscriber-only article.
Start your free 14-day trial today!
In effect, this will mean China will be confronted by a defacto economic NATO if wants to throw its weight around. To wit:
- The US is circulating a paper at the G7 which proposes collective pushback against Chinese economic coercion.
- The mechanism will be designed to strengthen the resilience of all member economies as they push back on CCCP tyranny.
That will mean that any move to annex Taiwan violently will be greeted with the Chinese economy being booted from the capital and developed export markets with dire consequences for the CCP at home.
That would make any such move by the CCP the end not the beginning of the Chinese illiberal empire.