- Our global GS Effective Lockdown Index (ELI) – a combination of official restrictions and actual mobility data from 46 economies, weighted by PPP GDP – tightened in the third week of January.
- Using our estimated relationship between the GS ELI and real activity, we see an ELI-implied hit of nearly 10% ELI-implied hit to the level of global GDP in the third week of January versus a peak 20% hit in mid-April last year. However, the actual impact is likely smaller than estimated using the historical ELI-GDP relationship, due to a potential decline in the sensitivity of consumer and firm behavior to policy restrictions.
Latest posts by David Llewellyn-Smith (see all)
- Australian dollar dislocates from greenback amid dirt frenzy - February 26, 2021
- Goldman’s bullish oil case - February 25, 2021
- Frydenberg Unstimulus sinks into capex funk - February 25, 2021
There are 5 words left in this subscriber-only article.
Start your free 14-day trial today!