More bad news for the lagging vaccine rollout today. First, we’ve taken out Nepal in our race with the Third World:
Unfortunately, a series of revelations shows that there is little prospect of improvement. Indeed, most of the effort seems to be going into hiding the failure:
- The Government has new rollout targets but won’t release them.
- Despite saying that we’ve purchased 20m Pfizer doses for later this year there is “no guarantee” that they will arrive.
- Only “a very small number: of aged care workers have been vaccinated”, contrary to previous reports.
A fed-up VIC is now investing in its own mRNA production:
- VIC will contribute $50m to the facility.
- It could cost more than double that.
- Experts say it could anywhere from 1-3 years to complete.
Only three more years of lockdown to go.