Courtesy of Sinocism:
- Soldiers of good fortune|Television|chinadaily.com.cn – perhaps a georgetown adjunct professor and his class can use this show to determine the hidden capabilities of the chinese military police?A reality show seeks the military police’s top cop by pitting contestants against the hardest hardships and toughest troops. Sun Li reports.
- Bear-bile farm draws rebukes for visit proposal|Society|chinadaily.com.cn – A Chinese pharmaceutical company invited the public to visit its bear-bile farms to clear up concerns about maltreatment, but soon found that its website had been hacked.
Its move also drew questions and criticism from animal protection organizations.
Fujian Guizhentang Pharmaceuticals Co Ltd, which extracts bear bile to make traditional Chinese medicines, had been planning a stock market listing.
- Chongqing Boss Speaks UP| SCMP.com – Embattled Bo Xilai returns to public eye, apparently distancing himself from his fallen right-hand man
- 湖北一官员称遭逼供 检方用“躲猫猫”故事恐吓_新闻_腾讯网 –
- 国家体育总局局长刘鹏赴西沙群岛慰问守岛官兵_新闻_腾讯网 – and do some fishing, as a member of his group exposed by posting pics online
- China Ambivalently Affirms Dalai Lama’s Popularity – NYTimes.com –
- Chinese internet censors erase news of £3.7 million donation to Cambridge – Telegraph – Questions about the origins of the money were raised after it emerged that the first recipient of the chair, Professor Peter Nolan, had personally helped to solicit the donation.
Prof Nolan is known to have a plethora of high-level government contacts in China. His former students include Liu Chunhang, the son-in-law of Wen Jiabao, China’s prime minister, who is now a senior figure in China’s financial regulatory authorities.
Prof Nolan, who has refused to comment on the donation, is also believed to have taught Mr Wen’s daughter Wen Ruchun and several other prominent figures in the Chinese political establishment.
The donation was finally approved at a meeting of the Regent House, the university’s governing body last week and will be officially announced in the coming days, a Cambridge spokesman said.
- Lamborghini Says Slowing China Economy May Hurt Supercar Demand – Bloomberg –
- China Blocked Access to White House News Conference With Xi, Reporter Says – NYTimes.com –
- 幼儿园教师被指针扎3岁男童生殖器致其高烧(图)_资讯频道_凤凰网 –
- 樊峰宇的微博 新浪微博-随时随地分享身边的新鲜事儿 – [国家体育总局局长乘军舰钓鱼？] 网友 “海南南海钓客＂发文说前几天陪同国家体育总局刘局长去西沙观光钓鱼。先行坐登陆舰过去，回来是和刘局长一同坐部队的飞机回来，收获很大。大家还指望这样的部队收回南海么？指望这样的国家干部搞体育事业么？
- Will AdChina break the IPO drought? | China Accounting Blog | Paul Gillis – Another concern over VIEs is the risk that the interests of the VIE shareholder and the public shareholders may not be aligned, providing an economic incentive to the VIE shareholder to ignore the agreements and take the VIE. Interestingly, this is addressed in the financial statement footnotes – a first I think. The company says “the shareholders of the consolidated VIEs are also shareholders of the Company and therefore have no current interest in seeking to act contrary to the contractual arrangements.” That statement is absurd on its face. The key VIE is 100% owned by the founder and his wife, yet they only control 18% of AdChina before the IPO. While the 18% shareholding is significant and mitigates the risk of the shareholders taking the VIE, it is quite an overreach to conclude they have no current economic interest in doing so.
- Follow-up statement and action « ESPN Front Row – At ESPN we are aware of three offensive and inappropriate comments made on ESPN outlets during our coverage of Jeremy Lin.
Saturday we apologized for two references here. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:
The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.
The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.
The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.
- 熊胆真的“不可替代”吗？-《财经网》 – 以“熊胆不可替代”为由，熊胆产品生产商为其进行活熊取胆，并生产相关产品进行辩护。熊胆真正神奇到了“不可替代”的地步吗？而事实上，不论是从现代医学的角度，还是中国传统医学的角度，熊胆都是可用可不用的
- “锰中毒”风波：部分超市下架苏泊尔 消费者期待权威公布 – 消费·传媒 – 21世纪网 – parkinson’s causing SUPOR rice cookers due 2 high levels of manganese
- H.K. Poll Favors Tang Quitting Campaign – Bloomberg – More than half of Hong Kong people say Henry Tang, the front-runner to be the city’s next leader, should end his election campaign because of a scandal over an illegal addition to one of his homes, according to a poll.
Tang blamed his wife for building a 2,200 square foot basement in a Kowloon Tong house that was in her name, though connected to a property he owns in the upmarket district. A poll commissioned by the South China Morning Post showed 51.3 percent of respondents thought Tang should quit, while 79.5 percent said the incident reflected poorly on his integrity.
- Hong Kong Rent Topping Manhattan Doesn’t Faze Retailers – Bloomberg – Rents of $1,943 per square foot in Hong Kong’s Causeway Bay make it the second most expensive shopping street in the world in 2011, behind Fifth Avenue’s $2,250 and topping Tokyo’s Ginza, London’s Bond Street and the Champs Elysees in Paris, according to Cushman & Wakefield, a New York-based real estate services firm.
- 北京公交高峰乘车如“打仗” 超员一倍成常态_新闻_腾讯网 –
- 云南村民为节水卖掉牲畜 洗澡洗衣成奢望(组图)_新闻_腾讯网 – drought still a problem in yunnan
- BBC News – Chinese face deportation for eating rare tortoises – just deportation?//Four Chinese nationals are facing deportation from Zimbabwe after they were arrested for killing more than 40 rare tortoises for meat, officials say.
- China arrests Tibetan writer, reports say | World news | guardian.co.uk – Gagkye Drubpa Kyab detained in Serthar county, part of Sichuan province, as authorities crack down on dissent
- BBC中文网 – 国际新闻 – 四中国人宰吃非洲濒危乌龟将被遣返 –
- Scientists Find New Dangers in Tiny but Pervasive Particles in Air Pollution – NYTimes.com – Fine atmospheric particles — smaller than one-thirtieth of the diameter of a human hair — were identified more than 20 years ago as the most lethal of the widely dispersed air pollutants in the United States. Linked to both heart and lung disease, they kill an estimated 50,000 Americans each year. But more recently, scientists have been puzzled to learn that a subset of these particles, called secondary organic aerosols, has a greater total mass, and is thus more dangerous, than previously understood.
- Arizona Sheriff Exits Romney Campaign – Washington Wire – WSJ – A co-chairman of Mitt Romney’s campaign in Arizona stepped down Saturday following media reports that he allegedly threatened to deport his gay former lover.Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu, who is also a candidate for Congress, quit the Romney campaign shortly after an Arizona publication reported that Mr. Babeu threatened to deport his ex-boyfriend when the man would not promise to keep their relationship under wraps.
- Sina Weibo Trends Manipulated By Fraudulent Accounts? | DigiCha – If correct this research is meaningful for Sina ($SINA), its investors and advertisers. Many claim that Weibo has much more use user engagement than Twitter, and that in fact it is the “Facebook+Twitter of China”. If a material percentage of the engagement turns out to be fraudulent, advertisers and investors may view the product in a different light. Real-name registration could help clarify these issues, as posting and retweeting by fraudulent/spam/zombie accounts should decline significantly, assuming real name registration is actually enforced.